Our mission is to support the vulnerable and marginalised to live a healthy life with dignity.
Malteser International provides aid in all parts of the world without distinction of religion, race or political persuasion. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence are the foundation of its work. The relief service is committed to ensure high quality standards. Accountability and transparency are priorities of its agenda.
Humanitarian aid supports people who have got into an acute emergency due to natural catastrophes, epidemics or man-made disasters. Effective aid must always be geared to the needs of the affected people who are not in a position to cope with the emergency situation on their own. Professional humanitarian aid is provided according to nationally and internationally approved quality standards and guidelines.
Malteser International, through Malteser Germany (Malteser Hilfsdienst e.V.), has committed itself to observe, inter alia, the following national and international codes and standards:
- Principles for the international work of the German Caritas Association www.caritas.de
- The Code of Conduct: Principles of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Response Programmes www.ifrc.org
- The Sphere Project: Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response www.sphereproject.org
- VENRO Code of Conduct: Transparency, Organisational Governance and Control www.venro.org
- Twelve basic rules of Humanitarian Aid from the Humanitarian Aid Coordination Committee of the German Federal Foreign Office www.auswaertiges-amt.de