Malteser International is the worldwide relief service of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid. Around 1,000 employees carry out projects in more than 20 countries: every year, around 100 international experts are deployed to the world's emergency and crisis regions, working in close cooperation with about 900 local staff members and supported by nearly 50 colleagues at headquarters.
Even if the number of vacancies is limited, we are always very interested in qualified personnel.
For our programmes abroad, we regularly look for professionals with experience in humanitarian aid and development cooperation:
- Technical experts (with emphasis on WASH, DRR, and construction)
- Medical staff (with emphasis on Public Health)
- Project managers
- Logistics specialists
For candidates who have graduated from university (or technical college) or have completed a qualifying apprenticeship relevant for the field of humanitarian aid, we also offer a one-year Career Entry Programme.
The basic requirements for a possible assignment abroad are subject to the following criteria:
- completed professional training
- professional experience of at least 2 to 3 years
- ability to live in the tropics
- relevant experience abroad
- very good knowledge of at least English and, depending on the assignment, also of French or Spanish
- intercultural sensitivity
- commitment and team spirit
- working experience in developing countries, especially in the field of development cooperation/humanitarian aid
Furthermore, we attach great importance to idealism and a convincing motivation for working in humanitarian relief.
Unfortunately, we are not in a position to offer employment in the following cases:
- for applicants interested in short-term employment abroad
- for students interested in short-term employment or assignments to fill the gap before beginning their studies at university or during vacation periods
- for first aid attendants and paramedics
- for doctors’ receptionists
- for applicants without any professional training
- for applicants without any professional experience
- for applicants without at least good proficiency in English
In case you are still unsure whether you comply with our requirements, please do not hesitate to call or contact our Human Resources Officer in the Malteser International headquarters via e-mail before sending your documents.
- If you would like to send us an unsolicited application, please e-mail it to the Human Resources Officer in the Malteser International headquarters.
- If you wish to apply for a vacancy, please send your application by post or e-mail to the address as stipulated in the job advertisement
Important: Please send us your complete application documents (complete CV, testimonies, references, photo) and add a description of your motivation to work for us.
Malteser International - Headquarters
Personalabteilung/Human Resources Department
Kalker Hauptstr. 22-24
Contact our Human Resources Officer: Mrs. Sonja Greiner
For the recruitment of young professionals in the field of humanitarian aid, recent graduates who fulfil the requirements listed below can be employed as project assistants at one of our country desks (Asia/Africa) or as communication assistants at our desk for international communication/ public relations within our one year long Career Entry Programme.
Candidates must come from countries of the European Union or must possess a German residency and working permit. They must have graduated from university (or specialist college) or must have completed a qualifying apprenticeship relevant for the field of humanitarian aid. Applicants who are not germanophone can take part in the programme if they can prove sufficient German language skills (minimum requirement level A2: Common European Framework of Reference of Languages: Global Scale of the Goethe Institute; please see www.goethe.de).
The project assistants will work at our headquarters in Cologne for the first six months of the programme. For the next six months, they will continue work in one of our projects abroad.
The communication assistants will work at the headquarters in Cologne for the full period of 12 months. During the second phase of the programme they will have the possibility to visit one of the projects abroad for communication and public relations purposes.
- appropriate university degree
- fluent knowledge written and spoken in English, preferable also in French or Spanish; basic knowledge in German
- experience in foreign countries or attended internships in international organisations and knowledge in the field of emergency relief and development cooperation are advantageous
- driver’s license
- membership of the Catholic church
The participants of the programme will be employed for one year (will get a one year contract) on a full time basis. Malteser International will pay an allowance of about 1,500 EUR/month gross. The participants will receive a contract according to the rules of the German Caritas (AVR). Vacation bonus and Christmas bonus will be paid in compliance with the requirements of AVR.
All vacancies are announced in the Jobs section of our website. Please apply directly to one of the vacancies.