Frequently Asked Questions
Here you can find the answer to some common questions regarding working for Malteser International. If you cannot find the answer that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us directly. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
We regularly offer positions fitting the following job profiles to support the work of our projects:
- Medical Specialists (focus on Public Health)
- Project Coordination Specialists at HQ
- Project Administrators at HQ
- Administrators for Country Projects
- Project Mangers
- Technical Specialists (Main areas of expertise: WASH, construction, disaster risk reduction)
- Logistical Specialists
- Specialist Personnel for short-term Evaluations and Assessments
We offer a one-year Career Entry Program for candidates who have graduated from university (or technical college) or have completed a qualifying apprenticeship relevant for the field of humanitarian aid.
We place the greatest value on our team members, and expect applicants to be highly motivated to work in humanitarian aid. The most important qualifications are:
- completed professional training
- professional experience of at least 2 to 3 years
- ability to live in the tropics
- relevant experience abroad
- very good knowledge of English and, depending on the assignment, also French or Spanish
- intercultural sensitivity
- commitment and team spirit
- experience working in developing countries, especially in the field of development cooperation/humanitarian aid.
Our response in disasters has to be fast, efficient and professional. That means that, unfortunately, we are not in a position to offer employment in the following cases, and we kindly ask for your understanding:
- To applicants interested in short-term employment abroad
- To students interested in short-term employment or assignments to fill the gap before beginning their studies at university or during vacation periods
- To first aid attendants and paramedics
- To doctors’ receptionists
- To applicants without any professional training
- To applicants without any professional experience
- To applicants without at least good proficiency in English.
The Malteser International Headquarters in Cologne was awarded the “Family and Career Audit Quality Seal” in July 2015. We offer numerous ways in which our employees can balance their home and work lives, and we have introduced measures for a family friendly personnel policy.
We offer our staff a contract in accordance with the guidelines of the German Caritas Association (AVR), which includes a pension, and added benefits in the case of service overseas, including travel and transport costs, accommodation at the destination, travel and health insurance etc..
We want to use the resources that are entrusted to us as efficiently as we can. If you would like to apply to one of the positions advertised here, please use the online form provided wherever possible. Upload your documents, including a complete CV, credentials, references, and picture along with a cover letter outlining your reasons for wanting to work for Malteser International. You do not need to register to make an application.
We are happy to receive unsolicited applications from people who meet the general critera set out above when there is currently no appropriate position advertised on our Job Portal. You can also submit these using the online form. Please make sure that you are in posession of all the required qualifications before you submit your proposal.