Our work against hunger and food insecurity
Around 44 million people across Africa are struggling to feed themselves. In South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, more than 15 million are facing the threat of hunger. In situations like these, children are the most affected
Malteser International is presently helping the most vulnerable people in these countries by providing families with urgently needed food, safe drinking water and sanitation and medical care.
To help families in the long term, we are also distributing seeds so families can cultivate crops, thereby producing their own food and boosting their income.
Our activities are aimed at saving as many lives as possible. Your donation can help us prevent a looming disaster.
GIVE TODAY. HELP THEM SURVIVE AND THRIVE IN HEALTH AND DIGNITY!
Why is there a hunger crisis in Africa?
Roland Hansen, Head of the Africa Department at Malteser International, talks about the food crisis in South Sudan and DR Congo, what we are doing and how you can help us continue our work.
Hunger crisis in Africa: information and stories from our projects
This is how we help the people in the crisis-ridden regions of Africa:
• School meal program for 5,000 children
• Drilling of 18 wells
• Construction of six washing platforms
• Distribution of soap bars to 19,000 refugees
• Psychosocial support for children aged five and above
• Distribution of agricultural equipment and water
• Supervision of street children
• Supporting the urban vegetable garden in Wau city
Our help in the DR Congo for South Sudanese refugees:
• Supporting health centers and hospitals in treating refugees free of charge
• Improving the water supply in the camps and health centers
• Providing the necessary equipment for water treatment
• Providing refugees with hygiene articles
• Providing hygiene awareness in courses instructed by health committees in order to prevent the transmission of diseases
• Construction of sanitary facilities, such as showers, latrines and incinerators
• Providing health centers with equipment for infection prevention and for work safety
• Water supply
• Construction of a water catchment system
• Drilling of boreholes
• Construction of latrines and distribution of hygiene articles
• High energy food for undernourished children
• Supporting the food distribution for households
Our help in Uganda for South Sudanese refugees:
• Motorizing boreholes to supply refugees with water
• Supplying refugees with essential hygiene articles and soap
• Distributing seeds and agricultural equipment
• Trainings on good agricultural practices
• Setting up fruit and vegetable gardens